Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Vigeland Park

The school organized a tour of Vigeland Park for us.  In the morning, we did not have class because the professors gave us time to finish our second paper.  Luckily, I had time to work on mine yesterday.  I had breakfast with my mom and aunt in the morning then sent them on their way for shopping and exploring.  I went to class at 2:15, where I received my paper topic (and we left the room for the last time) and then met up with my mom and aunt again.

We walked over to the school to meet up with the group.  They finally got to meet the rest of my classmates and more people in our school, and they enjoyed speaking with everyone, shocked by their kindness and open personalities.  I think you have to have that kind of personality to be in a program like this, otherwise you would be miserable.  They really wanted to hear them talk about New York and America and also just funny stories.

It was funny to bring my conservative mother and aunt into a park filled with hundreds of naked sculptures and statues, although they enjoyed it.   Vigeland associated with Edvard Munch and a related group of artists and thinkers of the time, exploring feeling and emotions through art.  Vigeland chose to leave the statues nude so they would be timeless.  Clothing would date them.  I also learned that Vigeland promised to donate all the artworks to the city of Oslo in exchange for studio space and the promise that they would display the statues in the park he designed.  It never closes and is always free.  A very famous aspect of Oslo.

 We also had fantastic weather (insert pictures later).  It was a nice experience for our last day.

Mom and Aunt Minnie went back on their own, a bit earlier since they were tired.  I was proud of the way they could navigate the tram and bus system (which is quite efficient).  We enjoyed some sandwiches in the hotel, I went for a swim and to try the sauna (I can't handle the heat), read some philosophy book for my upcoming paper, and then walked back to my dorm.  I was so glad they could come and visit -- to be a part of my international experience and to learn alongside me.  I was also very proud of my aunt who had a hard time getting used to thinks like the kroners, but eventually felt like very comfortable and at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment